Why is the project necessary?
Poverty, lack of education, changing social structures. Some children are orphans, some have families, some live on the streets without the security or any of the amenities of a permanent home. Others have parents who work from daylight to dusk in poor paying jobs, they are lucky the days they can feed their family and they simply can't afford to give their kids an education. For parents who have managed to get through without any education whatsoever, who struggle day to day to put food into the mouths of their family, it is hard to imagine the benefits an education might bring, when that child might beg enough to supply a chapatti for the table tonight. Parents, like parents the world over want what is best for their kids, through the Shakti Project some have been able to considerably enlarge those dreams into realms of unknown advantages like education. This will hopefully give their children a brighter future.
We aim to...
- Provide two hours of education and 1/2 hr for other activities - six days a week for all children under Project care, prepare and escort the children to school each day, a drop-in centre to get them off the street.
- Give them a good meal after school.
- When they are ready get them into government school, after one year for those who show commitment and if finances allow move the child to a private school and the better level of education it offers.
- Provide them Uniforms, Note Books, Pen, Pencils and other necessary materials for free.
- Provide them free medicine and medical aid.
The Shakti Project Team